Rebels finish on top in 7-6 thriller

Rebels complete rally for win

Previous coverage:
* Dec. 14: REVs post shutout victory 
* Nov. 30: Ball Busters take 6-0 win
* YMCA Indoor Soccer website



The Frankfort Rebels scored with a little over three minutes left in regulation to eek out a 7-6 victory over The REVs Tuesday night in U-12 Recreational indoor soccer at the Riverside YMCA in Cumberland.

With 9:01 left in the second half, the Rebels (dark green) are only 58 seconds away from cutting the two-goal deficit in half.

The REVs fall to 2-4 on the season and despite having won their last game 8-0, the match on Tuesday against the Rebels was arguably the most thrilling contest for the fan bases of either team on the playing field.

In the beginning, it looked like the Rebels were going to clobber the REVs as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead after only three minutes of play. Maybe it was because the REVs knew going into the game that they had zero extra players. From the opening whistle, it seemed as if every player would play each and every one of the 40 minutes. Or maybe that had nothing to do with it.

Somehow, though, the REVs woke up and were down only 4-3 at halftime. At intermission, the REVs picked up some morale when an additional player showed up.

The Rebels No. 2, with the ball, scored multiple goals and sliced through the REVs defense often.

Then the fun really started.

The REVs tied the match 4-4 only 25 seconds into the second half. Three minutes later, at the 16:35 mark, they earned their first lead of the game — then went up 6-4 when a shot on goal snuck past the Rebels goalie at the 13:18 mark.

And even then, the fun was just beginning. The Rebels cut their two-goal deficit in half with 8:03 to play, and knotted the score 6-6 with 4:09 left in regulation. One minute later, the goal that served as the eventual game-winner snuck past an athletic REVs goalie.

Both teams had scoring chances in the final 90 seconds — the Rebels were looking for some insurance, and the REVs were clamoring for a tie. But each team’s goalie stood strong, with some assist by their own defenses when called upon.

The REVs were down 2-0 early but rallied for a 6-4 lead before falling 7-6.

The REVs have only three matches left in the season. The return at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 28 to face Morans Lawncare, then finish up with a game at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 4 against the Storm and Jan. 11 against the Frankfort Talons.







Filed in: Latest Headlines, Sports

You might like:

Miller takes Turkey Day title with 10 birdies Miller takes Turkey Day title with 10 birdies
Von Hagel rolls to singles win Von Hagel rolls to singles win
Throw-ins help Shreve, Mallery forge FDL Week 3 tie with Warder, Spradlin Throw-ins help Shreve, Mallery forge FDL Week 3 tie with Warder, Spradlin
E. Padovini wins Player of the Month (again) for October E. Padovini wins Player of the Month (again) for October
© 2023 All rights reserved. XHTML / CSS Valid.